05 November, 2009

The Fam

Diego's parents arrived on October 13th and stayed for a week. We had a great time having them here with us. They brought us a suitcase full of yummy Spanish treats and as always helped us to do a million things around the house; Diego's dad is such a handyman!
While I was at school and Diego at work they enjoyed nice walks around the neighborhood exploring the area and one day we ran into each other in downtown Geneva...that was pretty cool!

On Saturday 17 October we took off with destination Gruyères to enjoy the beautiful autumn colors, explore a bit and have our first fondue. We stopped along the way to admire the spectacular views of the lake, the infamous Swiss vineyards and take in some fresh crisp air.

Outside of Lausanne in the Pully/Cully area known for the steep Swiss vineyards
.



Beautiful countryside just reaching Gruyères.

Gruyères

Central plaza, Gruyères

Le Chalet where we would later eat a traditional fondue
The Frgiger Museum, Alien anyone?

The village's symbol. Grue means crane in French, hence ¨Gruyères¨
Autumn
Le Château Medieval, 11th century


The countryside

Our lunch at Le Chalet, cozy little Swiss Fondue restaurant


Gstaad, a posh skiing village in the German Swiss part of the country
Do notice the drastic change in weather!


Typical house facade in Gstaad

Gstaad

Château de Chillon

Château de Chillon

On Sunday we had a nice walk around Geneva and lunch in the old town. It was really windy in Geneva the week they were here and they were unable to see the famous Geneva Jet. I told them that it was a clear sign they will have to come back!

United Nations building, Geneva

Botanical Gardens, Geneva
(it's free, I think it is the ONLY thing that is free in Geneva!)


Botanical Gardens, wooden carasole

Windy Lac Léman (Lake Geneva)

Geli taught me how to make rosquillas, she's the best!!!!


2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! Great pictures! The alien sculpture is a little weird, but the countryside was amazing!

Beth said...

I love the pictures! So beautiful. I think we may have to visit :)

Now I am going to go purchase some Gruyere and consume with wine tonight (maybe something Spanish) and think of you.